Friday, October 24, 2008

Moon Child?

So I was pondering on what I could be for Halloween and I got to thinking about the Empress at the end of the Never-Ending Story. I always thought she was so beautiful and captivating. I wanted to share with you what I learned about her!!

You'll remember the end, Atreyu finally makes it to the Southern Oracle and finds the Childlike Empress. Fantasia is about to be destroyed by the Nothing and the only one that can save her is a human boy. The human boy must give her a new name. The music is intense, the powerful storm throws the windows open. Bastian (the human boy) climbs up the boxes to the window, inspite of his unbelief that he could be apart of the story. As the rain beats on his face and the lightning strikes he yells her new name.... Moon Child!

Mood Child? That is what the movie is built up to? For her to be named "Moon Child"? Does anyone else find this as strange as I do? I always imagined it was an amazingly beautiful name like Orianna, Claribella, or Sarahellen :)... but Moon Child?!

5 comments:

Aubrie said...

I totally agree with you!! What a weird name..thats all he could come up with..lameo:)

tammy said...

that is a huge disappointment. I wish you wouldn't have shared it.

Tacy Marie said...

I know we have already had multiple conversations about this Sarah but I just have one more point to make... I don't know if you recall the man who plays Bastian's father in the movie but I really can't see him married to a women named Moon Child... do you remember his conversation with Bastian to "Keep his feet on the Ground." Well I think Dad did a little floating in the clouds when he hooked up with Moon Child.

Melanie S. said...

I love that movie! I used to walk around with pendant necklaces on my head trying to be her. I had totally forgotten about the name though. Selective memory I guess. I think it would be a great costume, you just need a pendant on your forehead!

adrianne s. said...

I agree completely- sarahellen is such a cooler name than Moon child. That's why boys don't get to be in charge of naming kids at our house or we would have a daughter named "homer" and another named "rad!"