(WARNING! This was mostly written for me....probably will be boring! But I sure don't think it is! Love these people!)
Today I went to the Minnesota Association of Family and Consumer Sciences Conference. I loved it. To be surrounded by people who love teaching as much as I do and who love the subject too!! It is affirming and fulfilling both professionally and personally.
This summer will be 10 years since moving to Minnesota. These women have been a huge part of my educational journey and my mentors. Its an honor to be numbered with them. Come walk down memory lane with me as I wouldn't be where I am today without them.
Karen Smith teaches at Monticello Middle School. I moved in with my sister in Monticello and emailed the local FACS teachers in hope to at least start substitute teaching. Karen responded to me quickly! She invited me into her school, gave me a tour and invited me to the state conference the following month. She is a strong woman of faith and determination. She is gentle and soft spoken but she moves mountains and changes lives. She has changed mine.
Maxine Peterson teaches high school at Centennial High. I first knew Max from a distance going to these conferences. She is very involved and has her hands in so many buckets. She is an advocate for FACS and her voice is strong and heard. (Honestly she intimidated me!!) My last semester of grad school I applied for a long term sub position at Centennial and it was one of the most incredible professional opportunities of my career. Their department was the strongest FACS department in the state with 6 full time positions. It was an honor to work with them all and to witness how a well oiled program runs. All of those ladies were so encouraging and uplifting. They saw my potential and hoped me see it in myself. I'm a stronger woman and better person because of all of them. I can be anybody and do anything because I know they would be behind me. I love them.
Hillary Birdsell my friend who is a strange combination of two old friends: Jill Burnett (a childhood friend) and Ashlee Christiensen (a SUU classmate). We roomed together at one of the conferences and just laughed and had so much fun! She is real and says it like it is. I admire her and her dedication and drive. You name it she does it. I just like her :)
Ashley Davis what a woman. She is a recent graduate and has done nothing but blow my mind! She exudes confidence and love. You are a better person and are affirmed in all you do just begin around her. She is smart and beautiful and needs to be the face of the 21st century FACS. She has written books and already presented multiple times at conferences. I'm grateful to be her friend!
Cherry Cramer, one word dedicated. I worked with her on the MAFCS board. She is affirming and kind. I feel valued and missed when I'm not around. She is ready and always willing to help. She has vision and thinks through decisions. She is a hard worker and I can't imagine how the board would ever get align without her. She is amazing!
Bev Haan who works in my district at another middle school. She is dedicated. I remember after my first three years of teaching and I was leaving the district she and Jeneanne Heckathorn and Nancy Heighschmit (I know I botched those last names!!) took me out to dinner. They took me under their wings and loved me. It was hard to leave. When I was lucky enough to return Bev was the only one who hadn't retired! It was like coming home! I have been blessed to work with her twice! What a lady!
Julie Mundahl is one of the sweetest ladies I've ever met. She is always helping and does things full heartily yet so quietly. When I first moved to MN, Rosie Angelo (who retired from where I got my job) invited me to have lunch with a bunch of local old FACS teachers. What a fun little memory! Julie was there and I have admired her ever since. She just has so much love and sincereness. One of those people who when you talk with her you know she is listening without judgement and honestly cares what you are saying. I want to still be her friend when I'm 85 years old.
Rachel Pederson! I taught her daughter for 3 years in middle school. Her daughter is now a junior in college! (crazy I'm that old!!) She was a favorite of mine and I love getting updates from her mom. Both are kind and dedicated women. I worked with Rachel a number of years as I worked on the MAFCS board. She is a patient women and doesn't let things ruffle her feathers. She is calming and organized. She makes me feel important and valued. I hope to stay in touch with her.
Tonight at dinner I sat across from a lady named Jane. I know we had met at a previous conference and she reminded me it was 10 years ago! It was my first one (that Karen invited me to!) and she remembered I was from Utah and said to me how impressed that I would be so brave as to move from home and come here. What a sweet woman to remember that after all these years. I'm impressed with her kindness.
What a journey this has been. I was brave and scared! I was full of faith and full of fear. I remember sitting at that first conference not knowing anyone when just a few weeks before I had been to Utah's UAFCS conference and had the comforts of home and friends. What had I done?!
What did I do? I made the best decision I have ever made in my life. These ladies are one of the reasons that is so. I am honored to be numbered with them. I'm a better person because of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment